Painting a radiator (spray painting) - recoat question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I needed to refurbish an old radiator. I looked at all the options and decided that to get the required finish using a brush was probably beyond my skill and I would end up with two thick a coat and brush marks and it looking a bit ****.

So, because I had a self contained space, and the radiator off the wall, I decided to spray it. After seating the radiator on a board sat on two trestle/saw horse stands, I was ready.

First I sanded the existing paint as that had been brushed on, had lots of lines, spots of rust and blobs here and there.

painted-6873.jpg painted-6874.jpg

I then sprayed two quick coats of gray primer and gave them a light sand.
painted-6878.jpg painted-6883.jpg

Then the gloss top coat. I gave it three/four think coats within 15min of each other as per guide on the can.
painted-6896.jpg painted-6898.jpgpainted-6899.jpg

Now, at a quick glance, I think I did a pretty good job. There are minor surface imperfections, but that is to be expected with something with previous layers and the age these radiators are.

My question. Due to me attempting this for the first time, my consistency of spraying was a bit off. I can certainly see it is a bit too thin on one side.

If I leave this for a few days to cure and harden. If I want to do another coat. I assume it is best to give this coat a light sand before applying another one?

Or would it be fine to go straight on with another coat?

Is there anything I can do to minimise the risk of the dreaded spray paint wrinkle?

Many Thanks in advance.

Feel free to judge my first attempt! Or maybe suggestions to improve it.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Let it cure very lightly sand it down and dust it, and respray the radiator, sweeping motions.

What have you sprayed them with? Cellulose, acrylic or 2K?

Sponsored Links
What have you sprayed them with? Cellulose, acrylic or 2K?

I just bought some retail gloss white enamel paint which was specified for radiators etc. Nothing special really. I think I got a good finish from it though.

I had a bit of an issue early on with getting the timing of the coats right on the other side.

From what I have learned since.....I waited too long for an immediate second coat, but not long enough for it to fully cure, so it reacted with the previous coat in one spot and I got the dreaded spray wrinkle in one spot.

So as this is the much larger side was was cautious about doing another coat. But it has had enough time to cure properly now, so a light sand, clean and another coat seems to be in order.

The good thing about using a gray primer is that it does help to see where you are a bit too thin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back