Painting after skimming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Chaps

Just skimmed all my downstairs and looking for some tips to paint the walls.
I am planning to use the white Dulux Trade Supermatt paint as mist coat - dilute 1 water to 3 parts of paint.
The final paint will be Dulux Mineral Haze 4 (which looks more white than on the screen). I will be grateful if you can please help me with the following:

1. Do I need 1 or 2 mist coats?
2. Is the dilution ratio of 1:3 fine. Other sites mention 50:50?
3. I know I will need 2 coats of the final paint, but the Mineral Haze 4 is quite expensive. Can I use one coat of the white Dulux Trade Supermatt and one coat of the Mineral Haze 4 instead?

Many thanks in advance.

Thanks

Nish

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I wouldn't risk it, 2 coats of final colour will give you the best finish and nice and even - it's amazing how much you can miss on one coat, esp using a roller. Is it a colour off the shelf? Sometimes B&Q and the like do special offers at bank holidays on paint - dulux at the mo at B&Q is £15 for 5ltrs, half price pretty much.

One mist coat is all you need, I always do 50/50 and it's been fine, but if you follow the instructions on the back of the paint tub, you shouldn't go far wrong.

That's very useful, many thanks. Will go for 2 coats as you suggested.
Yes the colour is one that you have to mix, they are rarely on promotion I think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back