Painting aluminium garden furniture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The other half has brought home an aluminium table and chairs in woeful need of tlc. I've stripped the table and will sort the chairs next weekend.

Would I right in thinking I should use a couple of coats of aluminium primer, then a couple of gloss/ceramic top coats? I'm thinking spray can because it's one of those intricate jobs.

I was considering rustoleum, as the missus wants it light blue and they have that colour.

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/rust-ol...mubOnKbckroXu0_r05BoCtFMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sponsored Links
The bare spots of aluminium need an etching primer sprayed on them first.

Apropos aluminium primer- there is such a product but it is designed for painting resinous wood rather than aluminium. It contains aluminium pigment rather than being designed to paint aluminium.

Aluminium oxidises quickly so be sure to scrub (or sand blast) any bare spots prior to priming.

Ah thank you. It's all bare, so I'll be sure it give it a good sand and clean before cracking on with the printe. Good to know I don't need to worry about a special printe. :)

After you sand it, dust it off rather than washing it, you don't want it to oxidise again. You can buy the etching primer spray at Halfords.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back