Painting aluminium

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I'm looking to paint a piece of aluminium; it's currently finished in grey with some labelling on it (you can feel the labelling very slightly if you run your hand over it), it's a digital piano.

I'm wanting to paint it orange (flat/matt, no gloss at all) like the attached pic, to achieve the same raw metal finish, hopefully picking up the shading in the light etc. as well, and was wondering how best to go about it?

Will I need to sand it back to remove the current paint and labelling so it's perfectly smooth, or can I spray on top with a primer then some paint (I don't want a clear coat etc. if that would result in a gloss/wet look). I also don't mind the labelling still being able to be felt after painting, as I'll be applying new decals over them in a different colour.

I've looked into powder coating, but it looks like I'll have to sand and perhaps chemically clean before doing it, so it may be better/cheaper to do everything myself. It won't be handled much so it doesn't need to be that hardwearing, but when it is I'd like it to repel fingerprints etc. as much as possible, and not pick up scratches too easily, as well as the odd drop of rain etc. not being too much of a problem.

Any help appreciated, thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Could try this

http://www.plasti-kote.co.uk/Product/pcode---4181/pccode---6751

I think they're available in homebase, trick is to spray several thin coats to prevent runs and sagging. Use wide fastish passes and dont spray it with the nozzle too close, maybe have a practice on something first? Mask off the rest of the synth
There maybe something better around but this stuff is easy to get hold of

Thanks for that, I'll give it a go :)

I was thinking of also using the Super Primer (white) over the current paint, to make sure it goes on well; maybe 2 thin coats of the primer, followed by 3 thin coats of the orange - would that be okay?

Sponsored Links
Up to you really, it does say this stuff can go straight on. A primer in this situation should promote adhesion though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back