painting aquarium glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
which is no different any other glass :oops:

question is can i use a small roller on it as i dont really want to move 80 odd gallons of water if i dont have to!

i just need a smooth finish.going to use a humbrol paint(acrylic)
in a matt finish

Sponsored Links
If you are talking about painting the back of the tank exterior, I usually just mask off the area and spray with a rattle can of matt black from halfords. Works a treat as long as the glass is clean before applying.

If you are talking about painting the back of the tank exterior, I usually just mask off the area and spray with a rattle can of matt black from halfords. Works a treat as long as the glass is clean before applying.

Be VERY careful if you're going to do this - switch off all air pumps etc. and make sure the top of the tank is securely covered as the paint fumes etc. could wipe out the fish (I'm assuming they're in there as you refer to moving 80 gallons of water!).

Sponsored Links

Be VERY careful if you're going to do this - switch off all air pumps etc. and make sure the top of the tank is securely covered as the paint fumes etc. could wipe out the fish (I'm assuming they're in there as you refer to moving 80 gallons of water!).

dont fancy spraying it,)(thanks for the tip though).dont want to risk poisoning my fish.im a fisheries bailiff in my spare time so im a bit touchy about that!
will settle for rollering the back of the tank as previously suggested.cant find a mohair roller anywhere though .even went to brewers who told me to try homebase.i bet if i took my NICEIC fleece off and put on white overalls he would have ordered me one :rolleyes:

Roller it with anything you like, or brush it. Remember that the paint you see will be the surface thats stuck to the glass, so a smooth finish on the exterior is not important.

Use a foam roller in the colour you want two coats should do it..it might be an idea to give it a coat of special primer first. Dulux ultra grip or problem solving primer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back