Painting banisters - advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've been gradually stripping many layers of gloss paint off my banisters, with the intention of
painting the bottom half a semi gloss white and the rails and posts a wood colour, preferably quite dark.

Below is a bad computer mock-up showing roughly how I would want it to look.

As the below picture probably shows, the quality of the wood isn't great and I still have a lot of
sanding a cleaning up to do...

I sometimes get the feeling that I'm polishing a turd on this one...but I'm persevering with it.

My question is, what would you recommend I paint the rails and posts with? I need a solid
colour - preferably dark - to cover the many imperfections beneath, but I've
no idea what type of paint to use.

Any suggestions? or should I just paint the whole lot white?

I am a complete decorating novice btw :D

Sponsored Links
If I were you I'd take out those horrible boards and replace them with spindles - then paint the lot white. You are on the wrong track doing what you are doing.

agree with joe on that one, spindles would look far better!.

I'm inclined to agree with you...the boards are indeed awful. Ok, so say if I decide to put in spindles: how much would this cost me? and is this a fairly straight forward job to do?

thanks

Sponsored Links
you can buy a spindle kit at b&q along with various styles of spindle - it is an easy job as long as you measure correctly - buy an extra spindle in case you make an error. if you want them painted, put a primer and undercoat on before you do the fitting - it will be easier and tidier to do them off staircase - same if you varnish them. Put last coat on when done so you have no bare wood showing where you have cut them.
It is quite an easy job, and you know what ? If you take the boards off you may even find spindles underneath already - depends on the age of the house, but i have uncovered many original spindles on removing similiar boards .
good luck.

This looks like a replica of my house. Personally I removed the understairs cupboard, bricked up the coalhole outside and removed the little wall within the cupboard area. - all in all a much more useful space.

Just ghought I'd mention it now that you've nearly finished decorating ;) :rolleyes: :LOL: :LOL:

I would buy oak spindles and oak handrail cos white looks awfull, and another advice about woodwork in home remove that horrible white skirtings rather simple boards and get hard wood as oak and use varnish. Would be 10 times better and nicer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back