Painting bare plaster.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have looked through the boards and been unable to find a specific answer to this so hope someone can give me a definitive answer.

My living room walls have previously been wallpapered but are now stripped bare. The plaster is in good condition so we are thinking of painting them for a change. Is it absolutely necessary to thin down the first coat of paint or can I just give it 2 or 3 good coats of a top brand vynil silk/eggshell finish?

Any recommendations on a good brand?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
If the walls were not painted prior to the wallpaper being hung and they are clean and sound, it would be still best practice to apply a first coat of emulsion that has been thinned. If the walls were new plaster this is more important as the plaster will be very thirsty and suck in the moisture from the paint. When walls have been papered they tend not to be as thirsty but as said its best to do a first coat thinned down, just in case there are areas that are still very absorbent. The subsequent top coats can then be applied. As with most finishes its better for more thin coats than less thick coats.

Firstly I would thoroughly wash the walls down to remove the old wallpaper paste otherwise your paint won't stick properly and you'll have a right mess. If the plaster underneath is bare, then, yes you will have to thin the first coat of matt down a little (depending on brand of paint used). If the walls already have paint applied and it is sound then just put another 2 coats on. Oh and ALWAYS use decent paint like Dulux, never by B&Q's own rubbish.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys,

will wash down with sugar soap allow to dry and lightly sand surface before giving a watered down coat.

Thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back