Painting bathroom dark wood pannels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When we moved in the bathroom wooden panels and skirting are dark stained with some kind of matt varnish over the top.

I want to paint the walls (paper) and wood the same color and just need advice on paint type. Egshell, silk or gloss and can I just use undercoat pre-painting rather than have to use primer too as I don't want to be messing about with 3 paints.

Also, should I sand the wood before the undercoat ?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yes sand the wood between each coat and before undercoating since it has been treated before. Use emulsion on the walls, and since you are painting the woodwork the same colour, it doesn't matter if you hit the wood work when painting the walls, or vice versa, at least until the final coat. Always sand gently between each coat.

That's great thanks. Just to clarify, gloss on the wood and emulsion (vinyl silk) on the walls? Not a pre coat of emulsion like white ceiling paint on the wall?

That's great thanks. Just to clarify, gloss on the wood and emulsion (vinyl silk) on the walls? Not a pre coat of emulsion like white ceiling paint on the wall?

Well, yes. Oil on the woodwork or water based satin or gloss. Obviously, the undercoat on the woodwork first, perhaps 2 coats. But Satin or gloss depending on preference of finish. The same goes for the wall. If you like Vinyl silk(very shiny and washable) then go for that as a finish coat. But always use matt emulsion as a first coat(yes ceiling paint for example), especially and in particular if there is any filling to be done on the walls. Vinyl silk will ''flash'' through any filling unless the filing has been covered with matt first. Good luck. :)

Sponsored Links
Sand well then two coats of satinwood. Job done.

You could try that. It may work and often does. But if it's a high gloss finish you want then Satin will not be enough.

You could try that. It may work and often does. But if it's a high gloss finish you want then Satin will not be enough.

I would prefer it to be as matt as possible thinking more about it . Just thought it would have to be gloss because of the moisture. I am painting everyting the same colour, dark stained cupboard doors, skirting, bath panels (dark stained mdf) and wooden paneling.

I would prefer it to be as matt as possible thinking more about it . Just thought it would have to be gloss because of the moisture. I am painting everyting the same colour, dark stained cupboard doors, skirting, bath panels (dark stained mdf) and wooden paneling.

Be careful with the MDF doors. It might be ok, but you can get MDF cupboard paint also, and it does leave a great finish o cupboards. If it's closer to Matt finishing that you want then go for the 2 coats of Satinwood. If it's Matt you want on the walls, you could go with (a more expensive) washable matt? There is also the option of mid sheen which would be like half way between matt and vinyl silk.

A couple of oil based satinwood coats will be fine. If you want it dead flat then oil eggshell.

Well just been to b and q and shocked at the ridiculous prices for their paints. I will have to shop around at other places. No way am I paying nearly £30 for a couple of tins which I will need.

They do their own brand that I find very good. Using some the other day. Fortress satinwood about £17.50 for 2.5 litres. You don't need undercoat. Why won't you listen to me for once? :rolleyes:

They do their own brand that I find very good. Using some the other day. Fortress satinwood about £17.50 for 2.5 litres. You don't need undercoat. Why won't you listen to me for once? :rolleyes:

I didn't see the colour I wanted. Yhey only do greys and white. I liked some on the dulux swatches but they have to mix them for you at an even higher price. will need more than 2.5 lt

Go to an independent and ask for McPherson. usually about £18 for 2,5 litres in any colour on the planet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back