Painting Breeze Blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I painted some breeze blocks in garden white last year to bring them back to life
I rolled 2 coats of external paint
I've noticed that tha paint is flaking off
Can anyone advice as to why that is happening,could it be damp?
I was planning on changing the colour anyhow
What should I be mindful of so I don't get the same outcome again
I have considered rendering it or making a pallet wall
Which one would be advised?
May not be able to do either at moment but would still appreciate input
IMG_20210227_134847.jpg

Sponsored Links
Did you use a mist coat?

They aren't breeze.

They might be lightweight concrete blocks.

No I didn't
Mind my ignorance
What should I do this time when weather is drier
Thanks

Brush it briskly with a stiff nylon brush or yard broom to remove any loose or flaking material. Firm material does not need to be removed. It looks like your mortar joints are worst. Mix some of the paint with 25% water and use a paintbrush to apply it to the bare patches. It will soak in and disappear.

Then go back to the beginning and apply it again. After the second or third, the paint will lie on the surface because you have filled the absorbency.

When it is dry you can apply unthinned paint. I would do the new bits first to even out the colour.

You must mix the paint can, and the diluted paint, very thoroughly, stirring right to the bottom where the pigments lie.

You need a Masonry paint.

A paint roller does not reach into the hollows so a brush is better.

Sponsored Links
Thank you ever so much for that
What's you're take on pallet wall or rendering?

So I should cover up the damaged areas and then 1/2 thin coats all over and then a thick coat
It didn't soak in too well the first either probably because I didn't prep properly
I'm not too good at the thinning process
Is there anything I can buy off the counter that's already thin
and also the first two thin coats,will that also be masonry paint?

So I should cover up the damaged areas and then 1/2 thin coats all over and then a thick coat
It didn't soak in too well the first either probably because I didn't prep properly
I'm not too good at the thinning process
Is there anything I can buy off the counter that's already thin
and also the first two thin coats,will that also be masonry paint?

Stir the paint tin. Then stir it some more. Then some more.

Ladle some into a jar. Add 25% water. Stir some more. Brush it into the bare patches.

No need to mist the not-bare patches

It should all be masonry paint.

So I don't need a primer on other parts,just stick other colour paint on?
I've been advised to use stabiliser?
I'm confused...!!
So firstly scrape off everything
secondly with a brush used thinned paint(same colour and style as what intend to put on)to cover bare spots
after drying put 1/2 coats off the paint

The thinned paint acts as a primer on walls.

Being thin, it soaks in, to give good adhesion. That's why the first coat or two disappear, and you can tell you've done enough when they stop soaking in. Subsequent coats stick to it.

Unthinned paint lies on the surface without soaking in.

I don't think your wall is powdery or flaky so no need for a stabilisers.

Yes true its not flaky or dusty
Last question
I'm thinning down the same paint/colour that I plan to paint right not buying something specific

Yes.
If you've got a few painting jobs coming up and you've got an electric drill, splash out a few quid for a paint stirrer.

I don't really...its a little high(not very)and I have artifical grass
Little wary about putting ladder on artficial grass
What options do I have when doing primer apart from a hand brush which I will need a ladder for to reach top

Do you not need to cut in a top edge anyway or can you get the roller on to it?
Do you have a biggish piece of wood you could lay on the artificial grass? Then put the ladder on that. Using a brush with the mist coats will really help get the paint into all the holes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back