Painting cellar floor and walls.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Am thinking of moving the washing machine and tumble dryer to the cellar. Have been told that you can buy special 'resin' type paint to paint on the floor (which is 'orrible at the moment). Would anyone recommend this? Also, will need to paint the walls white. As I'll be painting straight onto the original (unpainted) bricks, is there anything I should avoid? ie. Should I be using something that lets the bricks breathe? I haven't noticed any damp on them but some do have some grey/white stuff on them that looks a bit like cotton wool (whatever that is!) Appreciate any views. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
The grey/white stuff sounds to me like efflorescence. which is an indication of dampness...(common in cellars)

Painting bricks......thats always risky and the success will depend on the type of brick you are intending to paint

Not seeing your problem its difficult to make a judgement but I would go for...

One coat of slightly thinned Alkali resisting primer...followed by two coats of either cellar paint (beware.......it stinks) or anti mould paint.

As for the floor....stick to ordinary floor paint as it sound like dampness may be a problem so its pointless going for special two pack epoxy resin paints (which also stink).....although Johnstones make a water based alternative.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back