Painting concreate block

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, i want to paint the inside of my garage white, a neigbour has done this and he said the wall kept sucking the paint in and it took forever! What the best way to tackle this? apply pva glue on the wall first maybe?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Apply a mist coat of the paint thinned with water. You may need to do this twice. The instructions will almost certainly be on the paint tin. Use a big brush rather than a roller.

Also, you will get better results with smooth white masonry paint than with emulsion, and it is easy to wash down when dirty.

Thanks John, yes masonery paint was going to be my choice of paint.

So appliying a watered down coat of the masonery paint first, will this act as a layer to stop the rest of the paint being soaked into the block work?

The water will help it soak in, but once the mist coat has dried, it will block the absorbency of the blocks surface. Because the watery paint is quite thin, it is quick and easy to apply with not much brushing required. If the first thinned coat seems to disappear into the surface, you can apply a second thinned coat after the first has dried. once you have killed the suction, subsequent coats are much easier to apply as the brush does not "drag"

Sponsored Links
Thank you John!

One of my many easter holiday tasks made easier.

Have a good holiday

Take care

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back