Painting concrete with bitumen residue. Problem or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to paint my kitchen floor with oil-based paint, but the floor has a thin layer of old bitumen adhesive. Am I right in thinking the paint and bitumen will be compatible, or will I need to remove the bitumen first? Does anyone have a favourite paint? All help gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
Bitumen is whats known as a reversable coating, meaning it can re activate when another paint of similar type is applied over it.

What you want to do is a little risky..you may be able to get away with giving it a 'barrier coat' using aluminium wood primer first..then a couple of coats of floor paint, but id say your on a 50/50 chance of success.

I would look at trying to scrape the worst of it up first...then scrub the floor with white spirit.

Thanks - I didn't know that. Will give the white spirit a go if that is the best method of removal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back