Painting decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

In my garden I have a small square of decking which I stained with that Ronseal stuff but it flakes off and now looks a bit rough. I remember the Ronseal stuff being really watery and thin and I wasnt too impressed with it (It didnt do exactly what it said on the tin!!!)

I have powerwashed all the greenmold and other rubbish off it. What is the best stuff to paint it with please? Something a bit thicker that colours it not just stains it.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I was just going to say dont use Ronseal decking stain its ****

Ring Ronseal and have a grumble..they sent me 3 more tins and 4 gallons of cleaner for free..

No way missed that chance and I do like a good moan....

I have got rid if the tin now did they ask you which one you used or a code or anything like that?

Thanks.

Nope, they are more than aware for the problem..

The guy on the helpdesk said it was down to the Britsh Climate..which got the reply from me 'so why make it?'

They were fine about it

Sponsored Links
I think I will ring thwm then.

Could you please PM me the details you used please? I have long since binned mine after 12 useless coats.

Which product did you use in the end please?

Thanks.

They wont let us pm on here con..

Email me and ill help you out

I didnt use the stuff they sent as replacement..to be honest im not sure what to use, my decking look terrible and its only bene down about 9 months..most of the stain has worn away

Whatver I decide to use it wont be water based.

Yep I think my next application wont be water based either.

Thanks for all your help.

Any suggestions people please?

Thanks.

just a heads up for next time. wash it down again.scrub vigorously with a stiff brush to open the pores of the wood and to remove any contamination remaining from the manufacture of the decking. I would recommend using cuprinol, which has always been a popular product for staining (quality stuff as well).

tbh i dont know why u had problems with your ronseal.

Ronseal tech dept seem to know..its common.

There was no adhesion there at all..lifting within two weeks of walking on it.

Pressure washed it, scrubbed with a deck broom, treated with decking cleaner and mould remover, pressure wahed again...allowed to dry. then gave it 3 coats.

The paint film was lifting like tissue paper and is still lifting, Ronseal said it could have bene the time of the year..Sept!.. :rolleyes:

Then admitted or rather agreed with me that most of our water based products, maybe with the exception of alkyd acrylics, just aint doing the business

problem is, water based products just sit on wood, rather soaking in as well as oil based products, thus lasting not very long at all. Most companies seem to be trying to keep low VOC on most products now it seems

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back