exterior paint too watery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last year I bought some Ronseal Harvest Gold paint to do my sheds with but never got round to it. Today, a year later, I started. However I find that the paint is much too watery, like orange water and it has virtually no staining power. (Yes, I stirred it well!) The Cuprinol paint and B&Q equivalent that I used to use in previous years were much thicker.

Could the paint have degraded over the year? (It was kept in a shed outside.) Is Ronseal paint known to be of lesser quality, despite the "what it says on the tin" adverts? Or do I have a valid complaint against Ronseal?

Sponsored Links
Cant see Ronseal accepting a complaint after its been in the shed for a year,

its probably passed its "Use by date" there should be a code stamped on the tin.

it was in the shed for a year, including that long cold winter? It probably froze.

If its frost damaged you'll see little flecks floating around.

Sponsored Links
I don't remember seeing flecks on the surface. If the paint had frozen, then when it thawed, surely it would've reconstituted itself?

I was wondering if I left the open container in warm sunshine (of which there's none at the moment!), it would allow some water content to evaporate, thereby concentrating the paint...

The code on the lid says

951A
19:43

which doesn't tell me a thing. There's no "use by" date marked anywhere.

Yes, I can easily get another container of paint but I'm just annoyed that the present one is pretty useless.

It doesn't reconstitute it looks like tiny tea leaves.

I bet I know what has happened. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back