painting doors and skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
when out buying paint for my skirting and doors i was discussing whether to use gloss or eggshell paint, the man in the shop said that a lot of decorators are using vinyl satin, i have used it and i'm finding that it is peeling off quite easily.

has anyone got any suggestions please.

Sponsored Links
thank you, i have now painted all my doors and skirting with the vinyl satin, could i paint directly over it with the satinwood

Why does nobody like gloss anymore?? Am I the only one who actually LIKES a shiny painted wooden surface? (The previous ownder of my house used satinwood on everything. Not only does it look dull, most of it is now flaking off since he seems to have done no prep work at all).

Sponsored Links
i like gloss, but everyone says it discolours quite quickly? which is the only reason i was trying other paints.

Why does nobody like gloss anymore?? Am I the only one who actually LIKES a shiny painted wooden surface? (The previous ownder of my house used satinwood on everything. Not only does it look dull, most of it is now flaking off since he seems to have done no prep work at all).

Gloss does show up imperfections more than a satin or eggshell finish and so requires a better preparation so with the comment about your previous owner doing little or no prepping and painting it with satin that probably answers your own question.
That said I do tend to think a lower sheen such as satin does look a bit more classy than a high gloss finish.

I love gloss. Ok, I'm of a certain age (i.e. over 50) so was brought up in the gloss era but I still like it.

After much deliberation I have plumped for Johnstone's Aqua (I was going to go for Bedec but we have a Johnstone's Decorating Centre round the corner). I'm really impressed with the Aqua. Ok it's a different technique to oil-based - slap in on, lay it off and leave it - but the finish was really good with very few brushmarks. As anyone on here will tell you, preparation is so important. Sand down existing o/b gloss, Aqua undercoat leave for the prerequisite 4 -6 hours and then apply the gloss. And use a good synthetic brush.

Why does nobody like gloss anymore?? Am I the only one who actually LIKES a shiny painted wooden surface?

No, you're not; I like all my woodwork shiney and think it's worth doing the extra preparation. Maybe it's to do with what you grew up with.

Shiney shiney shiney :)

Cheers
Richard

I always used gloss in my house back in the UK, and loved Dulux Liquid Professional Gloss, until the VOC changes. After that I waited to redo my own house with their newer formula High Gloss (after the debacle of their first new formula attempt :mad:) which was pretty good.
I think ladylola has hit the nail on the head with the main reason most people use satinwood - a 'classier', not so 'in your face' looking finish with less preparation. I admit to liking gloss but definitely recommended satinwood on jobs that I knew would still look naff, even after extensive prep.

Back to the OP - painting satinwood, or any wood finish directly on top of an unstable emulsion base is not recommended but removal will be a lot of hard work. Sometimes you can get away with it, sometimes you can't, so my advice would be to try one side of an inconspicuous door and allow it to dry for several days. If it seems fine then it may be ok to 'risk it for a biscuit'!

I love gloss. Ok, I'm of a certain age (i.e. over 50) so was brought up in the gloss era but I still like it.
Grins, that's the exact reason I don't like it! I grew up with everything gloss, lots of pine and beige and brown and nothing changed apart from adding a bit of terracotta later on. :) I should imagine kids of today will hate the now trendy 'french grey' in their adult years!

I grew up in council housing and one thing that stands out in the memory is the gloss painted front doors. The council had four colours , red , blue , yellow and green and all in high gloss. Four houses were painted one colour and the next four another and so on in a repeating pattern. They were repainted in one of the other colours around every four years or so I think . Windows and frames were always white but doors and gates were coloured.
When I started work it was in restoration and I worked at a lot of churches and stately homes and the like and gloss painted surfaces were in short supply. Maybe that is part of the reason I tend to view satins and eggshells as looking a bit more classy

sorry all of you right at the start of my post i meant to put vinyl silk, i have painted all my doors and skirting with it and it doesn't seem to be very good looks lovely and white but seem to peel off if you knock it. can i paint over it with satin wood or gloss?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back