Painting doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 8 doors in total to paint. All the doors are currently unpainted, as per pic below.

photo_2023-01-08_21-58-19.jpg

I have two questions:

1) I am planning to use Dulux Trade Undercoat (oil based), followed by Dulux Trade Satinwood (also oil based). Do I need to use a primer before applying the undercoat?

2) What would be the best / quickest way to paint all 8 doors? I figured it is probably going to be easier if I remove the doors first and then place them on a saw horse to paint them laid flat, but clearly this will take me weeks as I can only paint one side of a door at a time.

Sponsored Links
Spray gun, if you're daring

If you remove the hinges from the door cases but not the doors you could re mount the doors temporarily on a fence post erected somewhere (garage?), potentially 4 doors per post even, then you could paint 4 at a time! They'd be well hung enough at one screw per hinge (Mary ;) )

If that doesn't float your boat why not wind 2 large screws part way into each of the top and bottom of the door, rest the screws on trestles (with a helper), paint the door, flip it, paint it, leave it (or stand it up somewhere) and repeat (on more trestles if you're leaving it). No one sees the top and bottom edge of a door to marvel at the screw holes and 2 people should be able to easily handle a wet door by the 4 screws

Last edited:
Are they varnished already? Or wood stained?
You will need a primer. I'd recommend zinsser b.i.n.
Painting I'd use a small roller. Cut in the crevices with a brush then roller the rest. Light sand between coats.

Screw strip's of timber either end of door as legs. 2 each end and you can flip over and paint both sides. Look up door stackers. Really need another person with the timber leg option to flip door vs some bought options which work with one person.

Zinsser BIN
2 acrylic undercoats.
2 top coats
150mm roller with 4mm nap and brush to apply water based paints.

Sponsored Links
I'd also recommend the Zinsser but be warned, it dries very quickly!

Oh. another tip.

Get a warmed in hot water spray tin of BIN just for the door mouldings . Finish the rest with roller and you won't need a brush.

If you want to clean BIN off brushes use clean spirit.
That also cleans water-based paints.
Leave to soak for 48h then wash under tap. Simple

Im, currently painting internal flush doors, using Dulux trade water based undercoat and satin top coat.

Ive found with a 4" roller and brush for the edges etc, the finish is excellent -the paint flows out until the roller textured finish disappears

I prefer waterbased as it stays whiter for longer

I use these flock rollers:

Same rollers I used on a window seat, they're brilliant leaving a great finish

Are they varnished already? Or wood stained?
You will need a primer. I'd recommend zinsser b.i.n.
Painting I'd use a small roller. Cut in the crevices with a brush then roller the rest. Light sand between coats.
It doesn't look like they are either varnished or stained. Just looks like bare wood to me.

Thoroughly wash rollers first before using on doors!
Interesting. Is there a reason for that? I normally just dip them straight into the paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back