painting doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,can anyone help please, I am going to paint inside panel doors, I'm going to use water based paint, which looks the best, gloss or semi gloss, and what is the difference between semi gloss and satin, also the selection of whites is astounding, do most people go with pre-mixed whites when painting doors, the last house we lived in had varnished doors, so I've never done this before, it's also an older house. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
biondi said:
what is the difference between semi gloss and satin,

Gloss is shining ,

Semi-Gloss is is less shining than Gloss ,

Satin is less shining than Semi-Gloss ,

Matt is no shine at all.

To be honest, I don't think there is such a thing as different whites. Forgive my black and white (hehe) attitude on this one, but if it is anything other than pure brilliant white, it is a colour!

I personally would use satin... I think that large areas of gloss can look garish. But it is all personal opinion.

There is another option. You can use the "effects" paints to add a pearlescent finish to your paint. My girlfriend did this, she took one gaudy ugly 70s brick fireplace and painted it purple. Added some clear coat pearlescent to accent it and it looks the mutts nutts. That might look a little odd in an old house though.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back