Painting exterior rendered walls after removing old paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a 50's ex council house, rough rendered. The paint on the back wall was blown badly in a number of places (probably due to weather and the half hearted effort the council put into maintenence and painting of the walls) so I decided the best course of action was to remove the paint. Ive blasted it off with a jet wash, which was hard and messy, but it's done.

Now i have a wall which is bare of paint, I'm going to fill some thin cracks in the mortar with something? But my question is, do i need to apply a coat of stabilising solution before painting it? It's solid and not dusty (if that makes sense!

I'll post pics below

Sponsored Links
20160712_173433.jpg
I plan to go a little further up with the removal of the paint but I'm on my own, and on a budget and can't get help. So I won't be scraping around on a ladder up there. The paint at the top is stable and not blown

Attachments

• 20160712_173433.jpg
    20160712_173433.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 211
If the surface is not chalky, dusty or porous, you should be fine to go straight to painting without stabilising solution. Did you have a particular paint in mind?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back