Painting exterior Sash Windows & Stone sills

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One thing led to another and before I knew it I'm knee deep in reprinting my sash windows...

I'm enjoying the possibility of refurbishing the windows

What had been left for years is now mine to deal with...

So I started stripping the layers of old paint away, beneath it at its depths was the golden colour of wood, having been perfectly preserved under this shell of discoloured, layer upon layer of yesterday's paint.

Having stripped the casings, interior and exterior, revealing, beautiful wood, the stone cills looked like they could do with stripping away the paint, just to see what lies beneath...

This turned out to be harder than I realised... took all of Sunday, to do the sills and this stone column that stands between the two sashes...

At the base of all these layers was this thick horrible stuff, that smelt of latex under the heat of the heat gun.... As difficult as it was to get off, I thought it must have been good paint to have lasted all this time...
I think it was the layer and layers on top, that cracked and looked like erupted crevices... that made it look all so bad,

So I wondered was I right to strip it all the way back to the base wood in the case of the windows, and right back to the stone.

I started to convince myself, because I felt like I read or seen it somewhere, that it's always best to strip what ever it is your painting down to t)3 bare material and start again, Simply so you can bee sure that you are being consistent with the type of preparation, application, paint and then brand.

Thanks for reading

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back