Painting Exterior Wall... Advice Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to paint my exterior wall as the original paint is cracking and the wall has algae and moss.

I have purchased some masonry paint but I am unsure of the steps I need to take in order to 'prep' the wall for painting.

I am new to all of this stuff so any advice is appreciated.

Pics of the wall are provided below

Sponsored Links
Clean off walls with pressure jet system (Karcher) if the algae is bad use a fungicide solution, when dry fill any cracks, apply two coats of Masonry Paint,

Dont forget to put down Polythene sheeting or tarpaulin on any paths to stop paint splashes.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help guys...

Having used up my budget I have had to make do with a hose and a solution of bleachy water as opposed to a pressure washer and fungacide solution.

Having scrubbed the walls with the bleach, alot of the algae still remains.

Question... should I leave the solution for a period of time or should I rinse it right off?

Do I not need to prime the wall?

Is it essential to paint on a smooth surface by filling cracks/chips in paint? (again budget)

The hose/scrub down did not remove all of the peeling paint. Is it imperative i get it all off before applying paint?

Apologies for all the questions but I am new to all of this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back