Painting Front Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I would like to re-paint my front door in a newish build which is now 5 years old. I think the door is metal, and possibly hollow inside? I believe this to be the case because a) putting a number on the door was problematic, b) my sun rode his bike into the door once and it has left a large dent!

Could someone advise me please how to go about doing this, do I sand down for a key and then use exterior metal paint? Or would I need to prime again? Do i need special sandpaper? And finally what is the best way to apply the paint to get a good finish.

I have a crown decorator centre and b&q nearby to choose paint from.

Regards,
Andy

Sponsored Links
Rub it down using fine abrasive paper all over in the same direction as you intend to lay the paint off.

Fill the dent with 2 pack car body filler and sand flat then undercoat and gloss the door with normal paint.

Thanks Zampa.

I have had a look at paints and am thinking of Sikkens Rubbol AZ (as they do a nice Oxford Blue the missus likes!), but also heard this is a good quality paint and as I only need 1l am prepared to pay the extra. Any thoughts on this?

Also, any tips to esnure I get a smooth spray like coating would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy

I have used Sikkens paint..its good stuff, but a word of warning...I used it over a traditional brand (unknown) of gloss and it softened it up.

Im not saying it will happen again but it could be risky.

Personally I'd stick to traditonal paint, have a look in your local diy store or trade centre for a colour match of the Oxford blue

The door may have been painted by hand previoulsy so you will have to give it a good rub down first, then used a foam roller for the undercoat and gloss..rubbing down between coats.

Sponsored Links
Thought I had followed this one by the book but disaster and me doing diy have struck again!

Sanded down the old weathered door, applied Sandtex undercoat on Saturday (from Crown Decorator Centre), sanded that down and applied Sandtex Gloss on Sunday. Finished painting it at around 11am, left door open all day, so warmth of inside plus it wasn't too bad outside either, but by 11pm it was very much touch dry but it felt soft (holding finger down hard on door for a while left a finger print), obviously had to shut the door in the end and the morning all the edges are marked where the seal touched. Also it still seems a little soft even now.

I applied both coats with a foam roller, wasn't too thick.

What did I do wrong? Any help appreciated!!

You did the right thing really but isnt snadtew gloss and undercoat water based?..if it is putting on a cold metal door may have caused the drying process to slow..in this weather water based paints can take longer than oil based to dry.

Hey Zampa, thanks for all your help!

Firstly the Sandtex is oil based, I did check this one when I bought it. Also, you have to use white spirit to clean up.

Yes, the door was cold first thing in the morning though but would have been warmer when i actually started painting. It is a metal door though so it is colder than a wooden door.

i wonder is this door really metal? hold a magnet on it does it stay?

Right then oil based eh...

Then the only thing I can think of is that the paint...being made for exteriors..and probably designed more for wood has an higher oil content..making it more flexible...also causing it to take longer to dry

Dulux exterior gloss used to be the same.

Wait till it hardens up and use ordinary gloss on it...you wnt have to undercoat again if you do it fairly soon..just give it a rub down with fine grade (120) abrasive paper

After a couple of days it did harden up. I haven't tried the magnet!

Had considered removing door off its hinges and painting in a warmer room then replacing the door in the evening. But since the first gloss coat came up pretty good I think rather than any hassle of trying to get the door level again etc I'll just re-paint when the warm weather returns.

I assume this means re-undercoating though?

Also, the wooden frame for the door has a piece broken off at the bottom. About 1cm thickness at the very bottom graduating to nothing. I suspect this was because it got a little damp over the years and the original gloss coat was not great and then just splintered. What can I use to fill this with to make it all square again?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back