Painting a brand new front door (Wood)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if these should be in here or decorating :oops:

Anyway, i have a brand new wooden front door - before hanging it i will be painting it. Obviously it doesnt need sanding or stripping like an old one, however do i need to prime it still ?? before painting - does the exterior face of the door need any form of weather proofing? and just use a gloss finish

Sponsored Links
If it is bare wood I would use the Dulux weathershield system, three parts, preservative, undercoat and then topcoat.

Yes its bare wood, that makes sense. Thank you.

I assume i do not need part 1 on the interior side of the door?

Hang it first then remove it and paint it.

Sponsored Links
Dulux 1,2,3 is the way to go - on both sides. As to shooting it in and hanging it, then removing it to paint it, that doesn't make sense. While the various coats of paint dry what is stopping people from walking in to your house.

Hang it then paint it - job done :D

if you can take it off, you can get a better finish, and do the top and bottom edges much much much better.

Lift-off hinges make the job easier

As to shooting it in and hanging it, then removing it to paint it, that doesn't make sense. While the various coats of paint dry what is stopping people from walking in to your house.

The original door. :rolleyes:

The odds are that the door will need planing down somewhat. Either paint it in situ or remove it to paint. He said he was going to paint it then hang it - and plane off his new paint.

Sorry I misunderstood, he's going to take the original door off, shoot in and hang the new door, take the new door off, rehang the original door and paint the new door then take off the original door and then rehang the new door. sorry am I missing something here :eek:

Yes. I guess you must be. You can't paint it then hang it unless you know it will fit. That is what he suggested.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back