Painted front door - it's a mess. Help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
Normal practice is primer on bare wood, undercoat, top coat.

Oil based paints often need to dry overnight before next coat.

Unless you have shade, painting in this heat and sunshine is a disaster unless you are very experienced, as everything dries too quickly before you can spread it out.

You may have to wait for the paint to harden before sanding down, and would recommend undercoat before the top coat.

Sponsored Links
Unless you have a good reason, ditch the gloss and go for a satin. Gloss will reflect and show every tiny imperfection whereas a satin is much more forgiving. Use a quality paint from Dulux Decorator Centres (Trade paints) or something from Little Green Paint Co or Farrow & Ball, I brush painted my back door nine years ago with Little Green in a satin finish, it's a dark olive colour, exposed to hot afternoon sun and westerly rain and wind and it is still as good as the day I applied it, much to my amazement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back