Painting Hardie Backer Board Instead Of Tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know that hardie backer board is preferred for plasterboard installation - I have a stud wall that has fallen off and the plasterboard has all crumbled so I will need to get that replaced - I thought about screwing in some hardie board after I have removed the old plasterboard but I wanted to know whether I could then paint it (or even leave it plain) until a few weeks time when I can get a tiler in - The shower is constantly used so thats important to bear in mind !!

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Using Hardie backer for the wall is a good idea. Far better than plasterboard. Although if you search this forum, you will quickly find some other alternatives.

After putting up the Hardie backer, I would consider tanking the whole shower area with a kit like:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mapei-shower-waterproofing-kit/78484

It's really easy to use and will provide a waterproof surface that can then be tiled over at your convenience.

I hope that helps :)

Also have a look at Elements Board as an alternative to Hardie. I used Delta Board (very similar) in our Shower.
It is a waterproof foam filled Board.
Very easy to work with.
It may need extra Noggins in the Stud Wall as it has a little flex.

Agree on the Tanking.
It will look a little 'industrial' until you can get it tiled whichever board you go for.

Also need to consider the Seal around the Shower Tray.
I used this. It sits on a bed of silicon and siliconed/nailed to the Wall
https://allpanels.co.uk/product/cladseal-trim-white-1-85m

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back