Painting jobs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First question:

I have one room previously painted with Dulux Satinwood White on woodwork, I want to change to Farrow and Ball Eggshell - Pointing (a tad off white) Can the decorator paint directly over using 2 coats or is an undercoat really necessary. The previous suface is pretty good and to my mind only require spot priming. Also he is saying that three coats of Farrow and Ball Modern emulsion is required on the walls. On other rooms other decorators used 2 coats and it looks fine to me.

Another query. I wish to paint over a matt vinyl wall papeer with Farrow and Ball Modern emulsion. The paper is basically sound with no teture can this be done and do we need to prime it first. I thought water based primer undercoat would suffice but I am no expert.

Sponsored Links
As for painting over dulux satinwood with F&B eggshell 2 coats over white should be sufficeint. With eggshells they dont really require an undercoat unless you've had to do some serious prep on the woodwork like filling etc.

As for the emulsion again depending on what your new colour is covering I've found that you do need 3 coats. If the existing colour was say white then if the surface is fairly clean then you might get away with just two coats but in practice using F&B I've found that 3 coats is the norm with this paint.

For the wallpaper if its solid & clean on the wall just paint over it with the F&B. If its a dark coloured paper it might be worth using some white emulsion just to blank out the paper before using F&B emulsion to save some money as its not the cheapest of paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back