Paint job on front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My friend painted my new primed howdens door. She sanded it down and then painted it with farrow and Ball gloss 2 coats so far .It still very patchy. Would you suggest just to keep going with more coats. I think they should have done an undercoat first

Attachments

• E44261BC-2A69-4E34-AAC2-1387AB995123.jpeg
    E44261BC-2A69-4E34-AAC2-1387AB995123.jpeg
    401.4 KB · Views: 81
Sponsored Links
Farrow and Ball is known to have poor opacity, esp some colours.

hindsight and all that but gray undercoat would’ve helped.

sand back between coats and keep going it might need 5 coats.

The person painting might want to do a bit more laying off…….

Read back of tin or even better application data sheet online for help.
Wanted a coloured undercoat on prior.
Follow recoat times.

Sponsored Links
I am not a fan of F&B paints, but to be fair, any brand would struggle to go from white to that shade of green. As others have said, she needs grey undercoat first .

I suspect that this is recommended undercoat

https://www.farrow-ball.com/primers-undercoats/exterior-wood-primer-undercoat

At £24 for a 0.75L tin, personally, I would use a grey (waterbased) undercoat from a cheaper brand.

Sanding between coats, is only necessary if the last coat has fully cured (baring the need to flatten brushmarks or sand back contaminants). Waterbased paints typically take about 7 days to fully cure, dark glosses will take longer. If the door does need sanding, consider using 180 to 220 grit paper. I would recommend using a mesh type of abrasive rather than paper backed abrasives. Waterbased finishes can clog the grit on paper backed abrasives and eventually rip the waterbased finish.

Abranet is a decent mesh based abrasive.

https://www.duluxdecoratorcentre.co...m-x-2-5m?returnurl=/search?q=abranet&count=18

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back