Painting a wooden garage door and its rotten frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello

sorry this is very basic but i am a basic kind of guy...

i have a wooden garage door that has been painted in a black glossy finish. the frame is in white gloss (but rotten to the core).

1) I'll be replacing the frame and want to know how to prepare and coat the wood before finally painting it with a farrow and ball (the most unreasonably priced paint the world has ever seen) colour that my wife has chosen.

2) I'll be painting over the black garage door - again, how shall I prepare this before painting with another Farrow and Ball colour.

Darrenh

Sponsored Links
The new frame if raw will need a knotting using shellac knotting to cover the knots. It will then need to be primed with an oil based primer. When dry it wants a good rub down as the primer will raise the grain of the raw wood. One or two coats of undercoat to follow, rubbed down between each coats. Finally a coat of white gloss to finish. The doors will need sanding down, filling where necessary and undercoated preferably with a coloured undercoat to match the gloss, this will help the coverage of the final gloss coat. Some colours like orange, poppy, reds and yellow etc are not light fast and tend to fade quickly after only a year or two. They can be poor covering because of the pigmentation of the paint.

RobbieUK has it covered, however, why Farrow & Ball?

They are horribly expensive and most folk agree that the finish is not all its cracked up to be. I would suggest cross referring the colour either with a Dulux or Leyland colour chart at their Trade Centres, they both have a range of several thousand shades and you will definitely get a colour match to your chosen F&B.

Get the paint made up in either Dulux Trade or Johnstones (Leyland), they will also be able to tint your undercoat (I generally get them to mix the undercoat a half tone off the finish - easier to see where you're going!). Apart from cost, they are far superior paints, both in durability and application.

You might like to treat the new frame, especially the "feet" with Cuprinol Clear preserver (which can be painted over when dry. The "feet" are end-grain which tends to be in contact with damp so very prone to rot and you can put then in a bucket of preservative to soak in for 24 hours. Same with any tenons. If you can raise the feet off the ground a few inches by casting a concrete plinth, or even by making sacrificial feet than can be replaced later, this will help.

It also helps to paint the pieces of frame, especially those parts that will be inaccessible once fixed, before assembly and fixing. I happen to like Aluminium wood primer rather than knotting, it clings and seals well and to my mind gives extra protection.

Try to do all your cutting and drilling before you apply preservative, to avoid having any unprotected surfaces.

A flexible, breathing paint or stain will be less likely to crack. External Softwood joinery needs constant care.

Sponsored Links
RobbieUK has it covered, however, why Farrow & Ball?

They are horribly expensive and most folk agree that the finish is not all its cracked up to be. I would suggest cross referring the colour either with a Dulux or Leyland colour chart at their Trade Centres, they both have a range of several thousand shades and you will definitely get a colour match to your chosen F&B.

Get the paint made up in either Dulux Trade or Johnstones (Leyland), they will also be able to tint your undercoat (I generally get them to mix the undercoat a half tone off the finish - easier to see where you're going!). Apart from cost, they are far superior paints, both in durability and application.

All the F&B colours have been matched by Johnstones:cool:

great stuff guys - thanks to all.

I'll be ditching F&B and heading down to local trade paint shop.

D

How 'sanded' do you mean when you say "sand the garage door down" - do you mean hard core sanding machine til I can see the wood or do you mean lightly sand it by hand to create a key?

For the undercoat, I have an all purpose undercoat from Homebase! It is white - can I use this rather that the coloured primer (not sure if undercoat and primer are the same thing!)

D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back