Paint solid oak fire doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it acceptable to paint solid oak fire doors?

I need new fire doors and will go for a 6 panel door. When I see people with solid oak doors they usually have them lacquered and left wooden looking, but I would like to paint my doors.

I'm thinking solid oak as I like the weight of them and the fact that they're, well, solid.

So is it okay to paint them and what's best in terms of priming, number of coats etc. I'll probably be using Farrow and Ball and I know they do a range of undercoats suited to different colours.

Thanks, D.

Sponsored Links
So long as you do not get any paint on the intumescent seal/locks/ hinges etc it should be OK, with a standard paint

Thanks.

I suppose my question is really, is it sacrilege to paint solid oak doors or do lots of people do it? Someone asked me why am I not just buying the cheaper veneered doors. But I want them to feel solid.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you're going to paint them, save yourself a thousand pounds and get 5-panel paint grade fire doors instead. I have them, they are very substantial and solid, and good for blotting out sound. I used the furry brush pile smoke seals which cut down noise and draughts as well as smoke. you will almost certainly need new door linings. they are thicker and much heavier than ordinary doors. My ones are about 35kg each.

Because they are so heavy, get lift-off hinges.
these are made by Premdoor. Magnet also have a good range, but any door or joinery supplier will have something similar. Buy a bunch and expect a discount.
http://www.wickes.co.uk/woburn-moulded-fire-door-1981x838mm/invt/180118/
available in various sizes. Don't get the fake grained version.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back