Paint solid oak fire doors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it acceptable to paint solid oak fire doors?

I need new fire doors and will go for a 6 panel door. When I see people with solid oak doors they usually have them lacquered and left wooden looking, but I would like to paint my doors.

I'm thinking solid oak as I like the weight of them and the fact that they're, well, solid.

So is it okay to paint them and what's best in terms of priming, number of coats etc. I'll probably be using Farrow and Ball and I know they do a range of undercoats suited to different colours.

Thanks, D.

Sponsored Links
No problem from a fire point of view. Better off asking in the painting section for No of coats/paint choice etc though. ;)

Thanks.

I suppose my question is really, is it sacrilege to paint solid oak doors or do lots of people do it? Someone asked me why am I not just buying the cheaper veneered doors. But I want them to feel solid.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back