painting kitchen cabinets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I want to paint my kitchen cabinets. they are solid wood (ash or oak). they are very old and dirty and also have some kind of a varnish on.

1st we used a water based primer and then water-based satin-wood paint. It came straight off again.

2nd Sanded one door and acetone treated it. then used primer and satin-wood. Paint came off again.

3rd we now stripped the new paint and the old varnish with a multi-purpose stripper (worked well) How long should I leave it by the way.
Then we were told to sand it, and use undercoat (oilbased) and then satin wood again.

I am a bit worried that the oilbased undercoat and the satin-wood clash again. We were also told we won't need a primer. However I have just been reading that priming is important. I want it to be satin-wood not gloss and also waterbased is nicer to work with. I couldn't find a water-based undercoat. is that correct??

Looking forward to some advice.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I'm not a pro but I've done a bit of paint-stripping in my time without any problems. If you really have stripped back to bare wood, then you should be able to repaint without problems. However, if you use oil-based primer/undercoat, then you need to use oil-based top coat (for obvious reasons). There are eggshell paints around that will give you the finish you like. Farrow and Ball, for example, do oil-based eggshell as well as water-based.

Hello
I painted my solid wood kitchen units a few years ago and they still look good. They were stained dark and I didn't want to strip them down to bare wood.
I used 2 coats of a melamine primer and then 2 coats of cream eggshell. I rolled the eggshell and then lightly pulled it off with a soft brush. A really good finish
Brenda

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back