Painting kitchen floor tiles (preferably for an old/worn look)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Not sure if the tiles are porcelain or ceramic, or whether that makes any difference... But I AM sure I don't like them!! They have a riven type finish and a quite matt. I'd like to try painting them to save some cash and the upheaval that replacement would cause.

I'd ideally like a matt type finish, with a slate grey type colour. The house is quite old and the kitchen will be a cottage farmhouse style, so the ideal would be to have something along those lines. It would also look good if it had a worn appearance; as such I was wondering if there is a way to have a different colour beneath the main top colour, which perhaps comes through in the odd place, and in time comes through more where there is natural wear. I'm also not opposed to the type of floor finishes you often see in garages, warehouses, and old buildings.

If none of the above is possible, just some ideas on what kinds of paint will work (if any) would be helpful.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
you imply that you are or are intending to fit a new kitchen?
then why not do the job properly and lift the tiles?
you might end up with a farmhouse floor looking like a farmhouse pig sty?
the whole point of the glassy tile surface is to resist absorption - sooner or later the painted floor will begin to wear
and hold dirt etc and look terrible.

Painted floor tiles will soon take on a worn look , as it’s an unsuitable choice.

You're worried about the upheaval of lifting some tiles will cause yet you intend to rip out and replace the kitchen!?

As foxhole says it's an unsuitable choice and will quickly look awful

You would be far better off putting up with them for now and including the cost of a new floor covering (polished concrete?) Into the budget of the new kitchen

Sponsored Links
You could have some mastic asphalt laid - very rustic and farm .Edited due to mods removing posts they don't like !

Last edited:
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder?"

"To each their own?"

With all due respect (and I mean that because you guys have given me invaluable advice over the years), I'm happy with my stylistic and aesthetic direction. It's just the practical and DIY aspects I'm looking for help with...

In case it's still relevant, we were looking to buy a dining table recently and whilst browsing ebay I came across this. Can't be sure but they look painted and the tiles look much like ours. Do you guys think they've been painted? Whilst not ideal, I'd be happy if we could get ours looking like that....

Cheers

s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back