JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to turn a kitchen like this:
kitchen 5.png

into a kitchen like this:

ck-e-mellon-prime-oak-worktops-1.jpg

just by painting units are replacing the worktop?

And, would it be much cheaper to get a professional painter in than just replace the units?

Thinking DIY, as have no money .... but, considering all options.

Sponsored Links
Yes it's possible, it'll just depend on your painting(or spray painting) skills. There was a recent post here, where the poster took the doors to a local car spray shop.

Are the doors wooden ones, or made of MDF. If they're MDF, then you need to make sure they are laid flat on the floor. If you lean them up against a wall, they will bend backwards, and bow.

Oooh, bit more Googling, found some people, prices seem to range from £500 to about £2000.
And on mumsnet, somebody recommended Annie Sloan paint.
And this gave me an idea ... I bought a shabby chic corner cabinet a few years ago, was cheap from a garden centre. It came with a busienss card - the person who painted that might be looking for some similar work ....

a case study.
http://www.ourstoriedhome.com/chalk-painted-kitchen-cabinets-2-years-later/
Cost them about $200 paintin with a brush.

Might have to be a mini project. I can tolerate a not-perfect job if I DIY it, so maybe better for me to take that route than pay somebody £2000!

Sponsored Links
DIY painting is hard work and time consuming

Of course it's hard work, and time consuming (which is why we pay others to do it) but doesn't mean it can't be done. Why not have a go at one door, and see how you get on.

"DIY painting is hard work and time consuming.....
but like most things, less so with practice.

Low standards and low sheen are your friends. Satinwood is reasonably durable.

Or you could just replace the doors. Various people supply them sized to order or in standard sizes. Slab doors cut from factory-laminated board, with edging, are I think the most durable.

Satinwood goes on great on kitchen doors, I have painted many kitchens over the years. A good degreasing and a flatting off with wet n dry. Apply two or three coats of Satinwood. Should look nice. Take your time and do one door at a time.

I can tolerate a not-perfect job if I DIY it, so maybe better for me to take that route than pay somebody £2000!

Shabby chic is fine but without proper preparation and product, a couple of years down the line you may well end up with something that looked like it was badly DIY'ed .

Some people seem to be selectively myopic, especially when they have panted something themselves. If however you have an eye for detail, I would recommend paying a cabinet painter.

Based on the first image, here in London, I would probably charge more than £2000 for a high quality hand painted finish using oil based eggshell, assuming that both sides of the doors ne to be painted, and the face edges of the cabinets (the ones that you see when the doors are opened)..

Spraying is definitely an option, the doors can be sprayed off site but the external faces of the units would need to be sprayed on site. I have never sprayed cellulose (as used by car sprayers), I have only ever used Acid-Cat, which I refuse to use on site if the clients are around (because the fumes are pretty evil).

Whatever you go for, I would strongly recommend that you steer clear of water based paints. I have seen numerous doors that were factory sprayed with water based paints that show premature wear and tear around the handles. I get the impression that the oils in the owners' skin makes the paint soft, and if eventually scrapes off.

If you want a high quality and very durable finish, it might be cheaper to get new doors and end panels (as in the second image). A client of mine recently went down that path. It worked very well. She kept the units and usd iron on edge strips where necessary. Someone else fitted the new doors. I needed to paint a couple of un-removable panels with Eico waterbase 10% sheen paint (I warned them about it not being very durable).

IRCC the door manufacturer was based in Yorkshire and they were able to make bespoke doors as well as curved plinths etc. I can ask my client for their details if you want.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back