Painting Laminate Kitchen Doors-please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Evening

I really would appreciate some advice.

My mom and dad are going on holiday. While they are away we are doing up the kitchen, re-tiling, tiling the floor etc.

Anyway the cupboard doors are a really horrible fake oak colour so I would love to paint them all white to match the cornices ( they are already white, well a bit yellow now :LOL: )

Being on a budget(the reason I cannot just buy new doors) can someone tell me how exactly I do it and what, where to buy the paint.

I am not afraid of hard work!

Can't wait to see my parents face :D

Sponsored Links
Hi
right then this is the kind of job I have been doing for the last 18 yrs, working for a kitchen company painting new units and re doing old when needed. The first thing you need is a good primer, and zinsser is one of the best you can get.

Having tired all the zinsser paints I would say don't use the 123 as its water based, the one I now use, and have been for the last 5 yrs is Zinsser cover stain, in the gold tin, its an oil based paint and drys in a hour. ( wash down with sugar soap before hand )

Then I would also recommend using an eggshell finish as well, just as hard wearing as gloss but doesn't mark as easy as gloss would. I put on two coats of an oil based eggshell, with a light de-nib between coats.

And then you will have a new looking kitchen and a happy mum and dad :D

So to re-cap, wash down...zinsser cover stain...two coats of oil based eggshell ( don't use water based stuff )

Lyngarth

Hi
right then this is the kind of job I have been doing for the last 18 yrs, working for a kitchen company painting new units and re doing old when needed. The first thing you need is a good primer, and zinsser is one of the best you can get.

Lyngarth

Why don't you spray them?

Wow thanks so much for that Lyngarth, do i just buy from local DIY shops? really appreciate your time in replying to me

:D

Sponsored Links
Does anyone know how much primer I would need? there are about 12 standard size kitchen doors.

I can get hold of a paint sprayer, can you use any paint in these?

Don't spray them, will take more time in the long run, its much better to unclip door from hinge, then paint all edges and refix door and paint both sides while door is in place. They will dry better there but make sure the doors are left open over night, even if they are touch dry.

If you use a good brush ( I use nothing but Prudy ) you can get a top class finish.

A ltr of primer will be more than enough.

The best place to get the paint is a decorators shop, and when getting you top coat ( I would recommend an oil based eggshell ) make sure you get trade paint, remember " If it doesn't say trade on the tin then its not "

Good luck,

Lyngarth

You are a star!! thanks so much :) i will take some photo's to show you :) they go on holiday mid april.

Sorry me again, if I can't get hold of Purdy brush, what sort of bristle do i get and what size? sorry to ask so many questions but I want to make sure your advice is done correctly ;)

only use a good quality brush for the eggshell, the zinseer primer will just kill any brush you use. so just use something like a decent brush from your local supplier as your gonna have to throw it in the bin after you use it. or get a pack of 3 acrylic brushes from your local wilkinsons shop, if theres one near you. they sell a 1" , 1 1/2" and 2" black and grey pack of brushes for less than £5. to be honest you could use these for the primer and the eggshell, there very good quality

the zinseer primer will just kill any brush you use.

Sorry thats not right, if you use the primer I said, the cover stain which is oil based the brush will be fine, BUT if you use the bin primer which is shellac based then yes you will kill your brush, even after washing it out with meths it will never be the same.

So get a good brush, and it will be fine for the cover stain and top coat.

As to size I use a 2 1/2 " for all my kitchen jobs, but if you are not used to doing a lot of painting, maybe a 2" would be better.

As to what brush to use ?? not sure as I only use prudy's but in the past I did use Hamiltons which were fine, but I'm sure some else here will help you out on that one.

Lyngarth

Apply the oil based eggshell with a foam roller, and lay it off with the brush. You will get an even coat of paint on the doors and decrease the chances of runs or curtains in the finish.

I have just had a quick go with the Zinsser cover stain (had it delivered)on an old piece of laminate kickboard.

Am i doing something wrong or will there be really bad brush strokes? I think i may have put too much on? Do i need to sand after before the eggshell?

Sorry, been away.

It sounds like you are putting it on to heavy.

First of all did you give the tin a very good stir ?? if not do so.

Don't apply to much at time and make sure you brush it on and out evenly, remember when putting it on not to just brush it up and down, you can brush it any way you what but always lay it off top to bottom.

If your still getting a heavy coat with a brush then you can get a small foam roller to apply the paint but you need to lay it off with a brush to finish.

Make sure you use a good brush as well, not a cheap on or you will always get brush marks.

If you need to rub it down you can with a very fine paper or sanding block, and then make sure you clean down with a dry clean cloth before painting.

If all else fails you can put in a little white spirit to thin it, but try not to if you can.

Post back and let me know how it goes.

Lyngarth

Thank you so much, my mom and dad didn't go away Sunday due to the volcano so they are going 2nd May now so I will let you know..thanks so much lyngarth :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back