Painting new front door cutouts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hope someone can give me some advice I've so far not managed to find elsewhere in books or internet.

I'm currently going about installing a new solid wood front door.
Everything is going swimmingly so far, it's trimmed to fit the frame, all the cut-outs have been drilled and I've primed every inch of exposed surface, including inside the cut-outs. Paint has been selected and purchased, both basecoat and topcoat.

My question is, do I also need to put all basecoat and topcoats inside every single cut-out? I appreciate that for things like the letter flap this is necessary to maintain the style of the door, but in particular I'm thinking about cut-outs for the night-latch cylinder and also for the mortise lock.

It took quite a long time with the old chisel to get the mortise lock cut-out large enough to take the lock, and it's pretty tight in there. My concern is that by addition of a few more coats of paint it won't fit any more. Should I have made the cut-out intentionally have a couple of millimetres play for this purpose? If so, I guess I need to take some more off and re-prime that.
Similarly, do I put all coats behind hinges, etc.? If so, won't that make them slightly out of flush too?

Many thanks.

SurreyWill.

Sponsored Links
the mortice for a mortice lock is not normally painted.

It wouldn't hurt to splash a bit of wood preserver in there though, as bare wooden surfaces are prone to attack.

It is common to paint the recess for the fore-end, the staple and the hinges though, as they are likely to show a bit if you don't. Make sure it is deep enough that the thickness of paint will not prevent them seating again.

Take special care to paint the top and bottom of the door. These are a bit tricky once hung, so often neglected, but this is where damp and worm are most likely to get in.

If you can use lift-off hinges they will make future painting and maintenance much easier.

If you get your chisels very very sharp you will find it easier to shave the width of the mortice to size. No hammer needed, once it is deep enough.

Many thanks JohnD for the swift reply.
I shall do exactly as you suggest.

BTW chisels are very sharp, but sadly it's my chiselling skills that need honing - as it were.

Many thanks,

SurreyWill.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back