Replacing Night Latch with a BS standard one with the rectangular shaped cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Renovating the front door, it’s a nice sturdy wooden door, it has a BS 5 Lever Mortise, and what could only be described as a 1960s Yale night latch.

To be fair, both have been good locks.

I’m going to replace the night latch, was just going to go for a non insurance approved one, as I have my Mortise lock.

But…

Started to look at some of the high security night latches, and saw they come with a more rectangular shaped cylinder….

Assuming if there is already a Yale shaped cylinder hole in the door, those new fangled rectangular ones will not fit correctly?

I’m happy with two locks for insurance purposes, but was just thinking if a higher security might latch would fit, then why not….

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
What do you mean by rectangular?

A Eurocylinder?

Or do you mean the external armour surround?

What will you do with the existing hole in the door?

If you have a nightlatch, the deadlock will end up not being used. So get a BS nightlatch.

Are you hard up?

Remove the existing night latch and measure the aperture? That way you know what you need.

Not a euro cylinder, don’t think you get those on a night latch?

You know, the typical round Yale cylinder lock. Very common, you will know it when you see it.

However they are not BS standard, the BS standard night latches appear to have a more rectangular cylinder.

Like here

As you can see, not round. Rectangular.

It’s a question on will it fit.

Am I hard up? Why? Bit of weird question that….but let’s roll with it, what’s your definition of hard up?

Sponsored Links
Ah, that's just a lump of armour. Inside it is a cylinder.

Same hole but you need extra ones for the anti-twist pegs or ribs.

Prices vary from about £50 to about £300

ERA are similar to Yale but you pay extra for the Yale brand name.

Union sell the re-branded 4L67 (which is a Chubb design, very good) at higher cost, and there is a Banham which IMO is overpriced but very fashionable in certain districts of London. The Ingersoll London Line is very good but I am not sure it is still made.

Before buying, ask the cost of spare keys. Lock merchants will usually offer an inclusive price. Bought later they will cost more.

Edit
Some example prices. I do not have lock merchants to hand.

Last edited:
That’s great, thank you. I’ll get my local locksmiths to install one of the BS Standard ones :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back