BS deadlock, BS night latch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a new front door fitted soon and I need new locks. Cheapest I've found so far from reputable suppliers:
Yale 5 lever deadlock BS from B and Q - £20
ERA night latch BS from Screwfix - £40.99

Looking on ebay for the same/similar things - I get:
ERA, Union, Yale BS deadlocks ~£15-20
Yale or ERA BS night latches ~£30 (some even cheaper)

Should I be suspicious of the ebay sellers - are these cheap knock-offs? Or is there a lot of 'old stock' floating around that people have got hold of in jobs lots and selling off cheaply?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Should I be suspicious of the ebay sellers - are these cheap knock-offs?
No, they are just cheap locks combined with certain sellers aspirations to be the cheapest.

If choosing locks for a new front door of your house, cheapest and saving £10 should not be the deciding factor.

The Union BS 3621 deadlock was a Which best buy, outperforming others at much higher prices.

Yale locks and latches tend to be overpriced as the name is so familiar to householders.

Look out for the year in the kitemark, as the B S. is revised from time to time. For example the BS3621: 2007 locks have bigger and longer bolts than older versions, which are out of date and worth less, if anyone is still selling old stock.

If you buy from a locksmith you can buy locks from the same range suited to the same key, for example for the back door and garage.

5 lever mortice locks are immune from some of the unskilled methods of attack that can be used on cylinders.

Thanks both - that's very helpful. (Thanks for the reality check about saving £10 for front door locks... the peace of mind is probably worth it :)

Interesting point about the date of the BS kitemark - the ERA night latch from Screwfix is "BS 3621: 2004"
Although my gut feeling is that the date is probably not too relevant, especially if fitting 2 different BS locks (night latch + deadlock) to a new front door. If they're going to the length of cutting through the bolts in the doorframe, they're probably going to get in anyway (or at least make a lot of noise doing it!)

Sponsored Links
Its not to resist cutting, it goes deeper into the frame so less likely to come out if kicked or levered with a jemmy, garden spade, screwdriver or other tool.

That makes more sense...

One more question - for a brand new door, do I want a 2.5" or a 3" deadlock?
If it was a replacement, I would obviously just get the same size to fit the hole / keyhole. But since it's new, I'm thinking of the 2.5" mainly because it will mean less material to remove from the door. Does that make sense?

yes, most people use a 2 1/2" or the metric equivalent. Different brands vary slightly. The size means case size which is bigger than the backset.

Look from the outside to see how much of the door edge is covered by the rebate (or stop) in the frame, you need room for your fingers. Also measure the stile width, the mortice must not go through, especially if there is glass.

Big old doors, e.g. churches, or fire doors, may need, and have room for, a longer lock, e.g. a horizontal case looks very nice in an old building.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back