Changing length of latch on nightlatch lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into a new house and changed the lock - like for like replacement with a yale night latch (https://www.screwfix.com/p/yale-bs-night-latch-polished-chrome-60mm/)

Lock went on fine but an issue I’m having now is that the latch itself seems to be too long. Previously you could shut the door and it would close itself because the door was striking against the sloped bit of the latch. Now it will only shut if you put the key in and retract the latch, as otherwise it’s striking on the flat bit of the latch before the sloped bit.

How do I adjust this so that it works like the old lock?

thanks

Sponsored Links
3B44F14E-23BD-44DF-A07A-751248FF011F.jpeg

Sponsored Links
You may find, (if you still have it), that the old latch didn't have a flat edge to it and the slope went right to the edge of the slot.
Depending on the gap between the door and frame you may be able to move the catch box slightly further away so the slope strikes instead of the flat face.
I don't think you could file/grind that slope to remove the flat edge as it looks like there may be a strengthened pin in it.
Can you post a pic of the door frame showing the catchment box?

Don't think theres any adjustment here, one solution though is to set the other half further into the frame

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back