Yale night latch help

17 Apr 2019
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I want to know if anyone has experience of changing the locks on their own. Could any one tell me if the door lock is a nightlatch and if I should buy a 60mm replacement Yale latch. I already bought one and it didn’t fit - can anyone identify what type of night latch is this particular one. Could someone please help me?


  • 88EA049B-B3AE-422D-948F-9132DBE362A1.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 243
  • 10F7D294-0B1E-495C-8B19-A0862FEFC436.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 269
  • 2118D094-6B74-4FAA-80EB-7104CE830541.jpeg
    216.5 KB · Views: 261
Sponsored Links
What did you buy? Are you keeping same lock barrel or completely new ( new keys)?
yes it is a nightlatch

measure the distance from the edge of the door to the centre of they keyhole. It is most often 40mm or 60mm. But there are a few 50mm ones around.

You don't measure the case of the lock to find 60mm, the lock case will be bigger.

Please show us photos of your new one so we can understand why it doesn't fit.
Why didn't it fit?

Is it a rented room in a HMO?

What is the thickness of the door? usually 35mm or 44mm.
Sponsored Links
It was big and I'd have had to cut a bit of the wood for the lock to fit. I think I just would need an exact replacement.
yes, that's true. Your new lock is a British Standard which is very strong, and has upgraded fittings.

But if you have, and can use, a drill and chisel, the new one will fit.

Do you know anyone who does? You need a careful and experienced person to do a neat job, but it is straightforward for a person who can do woodwork.

If you have to hire a carpenter (no need for a locksmith) I don't know what it would cost. Possibly their minimum charge.

BTW "24 hour locksmiths" who advertise widely are notorious for high charges.

A British Standard lock, like the one you have, will probably meet the requirements of your household insurance. A cheaper, weaker one will will be easier to fit but almost certainly won't.

is there any sign of another lock having been fitted to the door, especially a mortice lock?
Ah okay, would you know if there is any replacement of my earlier lock. Although I might have to get my new lock to work in future as I won't be able to return it anyways as it is opened.
I don't know if Yale still make the same model that you already have. There are nightatches that don't have the big armoured escutcheon for the cylinder, but they usually have a more modern and larger "keep" that goes on the frame (this is the part that usually fails if someone kicks or barges the door) so they would need chisel work and new screws.

is there any sign of another lock having been fitted to the door, usually a mortice lock at about waist height?

If you have just moved in, and want new keys, you could swap just the cylinder of your existing lock very easily, and the old keys won't open it.
Wow! Thanks, yes this looks like it's the same one. I will first check the rates of a carpenter. If it is too high, I will go for this. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links