painting new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone - am looking for some final answers to the following - i live on my own and am attempting to redecorate but all my male relatives, friends, colleagues and my mum (!) all seem to have an an opinion and now my head is going to explode!! if you can help i would really appreciate it....

my walls have just been skimmed - the plasterer put uni-bond in with the plaster. all of walls underneath were painted. the plasterer finished about 12 days ago now. he said i could paint straight on if i want but it wont harm if I PVA them first

my questions:

1. are the walls dry enough for silk paint? not all will be silk, they could be satin or matt - really have not decided yet lol
2. i understand i have to mist-coat the walls first with a matt and water mix - is this right?
3. if i mis-coat, do i still need to PVA as well?
4. should i PVA instead of mist-coat?
5. some feature walls are being wallpapered - how do i prepare these?
6. before i do any mist-coat/PVA should i "wash" the walls with a soapy sponge?

Please help so i can put everyone else in their place lol lol

thanks

eve

Sponsored Links
1. are the walls dry enough for silk paint? not all will be silk, they could be satin or matt - really have not decided yet lol
2. i understand i have to mist-coat the walls first with a matt and water mix - is this right?
3. if i mis-coat, do i still need to PVA as well?
4. should i PVA instead of mist-coat?
5. some feature walls are being wallpapered - how do i prepare these?
6. before i do any mist-coat/PVA should i "wash" the walls with a soapy sponge?

FIRST OF ALL DO NOT USE PVA AT ALL ON YOU NEW WALLS

1 - I would normally wait a month or so before using silk paint - The new plaster may appear dry but it still may be wet underneath silk paint will seal the moisture in the plaster which is a big NO. (also I would not use a silk paint as a finish I prefer Dulux Soft Sheen)

2 Mist coat is required - Its best to use Dulux Trade super matt as your plaster is still only a few weeks old Super matt is available in white or magnolia. Do not use Dulux Rich Matt for a mist coat.
For a mist coat with super matt the first coat I do is 70% paint 30% Water. Second coat using the same super matt is approx 90% Paint 10% Water. Then apply 2 - 3 coats of your finish.

3 NEVER USE PVA FOR THIS APPLICATION YOU WILL ALWAYS HAVE PROBLEMS.

4 NEVER USE PVA FOR THIS APPLICATION YOU WILL ALWAYS HAVE PROBLEMS.

5 I would mist coat, leave to dry completly then paint the wall using dulux super matt, once completely dry just before wallpapering I would size the wall with paste then apply wallpaper.

6 There should be no need at all to wash fresh plaster prior to mist.

Never rush this work, once the mist coat has been done leave the room to dry for 24 hrs before putting the 2nd coat on then wait another 24 hours before applying the finishing coats.
Normally on finishing coats 4-6 hours between coats is enough.

Hope the above help - And stay away form the PVA.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back