painting new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
i have just had the bathroom ceiling re plasterboarded and skimmed
i have also had a couple of walls skimmed
How long do i have to wait before i can paint ?
do i need to seal the fresh plaster, and with what ?
or do i just slap emulsion on ?

Sponsored Links
SLAP? SLAP? SLAP??????

What is his word 'slap'????

'APPLY' my friend 'APPLY'......

Ok .... drying ....well it depends on the thinkness, on average and in good conditions about 2/3 days.

Just wait for it all to turn pale pink or grey....then give it a day or two after that.

don't whatever you do attempt to sand it until you have APPLIED the first coat.....this is called a 'mist coat' you can use any MATT emulsion for this but thin it out a little first, this 'primes' the surface, reduces suction and absorbs into the surface....the amount you thin it by depends on the type of emulsion....better quality ones need a little more water than cheap ones...as a rough guide id for for about 30% water

If you don't 'mist' the surface and try and do the job in two thick coats you will 1..waste paint......2....end up with a heavy texture......3...find it hard work!.....oh and over time....it will end up flaking off

Once this is done allow to dry for a couple of hours and then give the ceiling a light sanding to remove an nibs or plaster splashes..you can also fill any imperfections at this stage.

Sand any filler you may have had to APPLY then paint with two coats to finish...(id reccomend vinyl matt as silk can show up imperfections on a new surface badly)

Viola!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back