Painting new plaster.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen has been replastered. Some of it is multi-finish on board (ceiling). Some is quite thick browning, underneath multi-finish.

It was finished a couple of days ago and the ceiling is drying out nicely, but the walls are taking a bit longer. I'd love to leave it 6 weeks for it all to fully dry, but I need to fit our kitchen!

I've read that I would be able to paint the lot using Dulux Trade Supermatt, as it's breathable and still allows the plaster to dry. Wickes have the 10l at what seems to be a good price. But, is there a cheaper/better alternative?

The plan would be to apply some white Supermatt, fit the kitchen, then in several weeks apply our coloured, kitchen emulsion around the kitchen units. Not ideal (I wanted the painting done before fitting) but we can't stay at my parents that long! :eek:

Sponsored Links
Painting plaster that has not dried is a recipe for disaster, also new plaster would need to be primed with a mist coat.

Sponge, howdy mate :D

Air the room and if needed get some heat in there. I'd be amazed if (with the current decent weather) if its not all paint dry by next weekend.

Rgds

Is that TSN Chri5? Hi there!

I was reading the Dulux, or maybe it was Crown, website and they recommended 6 months drying time for a fully plastered wall! No chance my parents, or us for that matter, can wait 6 months to get back into our home. :LOL:

I was in Taskers this afternoon and they had some paint on offer. It was nearly half the price of Dulux Trade Supermatt. It's called 'Berger New Plaster Paint'. I decided to buy it and check its suitability here before I use it. (I can always take it back.)

It doesn't say if it's breathable, like the Dulux, just that it's for new plaster. For all I know it's just regular matt emulsion. Has anybody got any experience of it? :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Hey we just had our house plastered a few months ago.

I will be honest we bought a cheaper paint for newly plastered walls and it's awful. WE did the spare room with it (after 3 mist coats first, we let the plaster dry for about 2 weeks before doing those).

Since we have done the lounge and have used Dulux, the quality is way better.

HTH

Most of the low latex emulsions can be used earlier that standard matt emulsion. Most matt emulsions are breathable.

The downside is that the lack of latex/acrylic resin means that they are impossible to keep clean.

Leyland's version is called Super Leytex , silly name given that it has a lower latex content

http://www.screwfix.com/p/leyland-super-leytex-matt-emulsion-paint-brilliant-white-15ltr/60248

Crown etc all have their own versions so just shop around, there is very little difference between the qualities (given that the low latex makes them "inferior" paints.)

I paint as soon as the wall colour is a uniform light pink (with standard Dulux Trade matt emulsion). In this weather a few days for plasterboard and a couple of weeks of up to 3". 6 months would normally only be for walls that have had sand and cement damp proofing renders but even that can be (matt) emulsioned over long before the 6 months.

Airflow is key to drying (as stated previously), heat helps as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back