Painting newly plastered wall questions - Armstead or Prime/Mist or both?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Had the kitchen walls plastered a couple of weeks ago they look almost completely dry now but is there a fool proof way to check they are ready to be painted?

Also the plasterer advised us not to bother priming /misting - he said just use Armstead paint and it will be fine - is that right?
If we do need to prime what ratio of emulsion and water should we use - I have researched but the results seem varied from 25% to 50/50

Also are there any other tough wipeable paints anyone thinks is better than Armstead?

Many thanks for tips and advice

Sponsored Links
Read the armstead application data sheet. That will tell you you what you want to know. Find it online as a pdf

Re paint.
Most Trade paints can be used to prime plaster. Some can't.
Data sheet will tell you

Hi everyone,

Had the kitchen walls plastered a couple of weeks ago they look almost completely dry now but is there a fool proof way to check they are ready to be painted?

Also the plasterer advised us not to bother priming /misting - he said just use Armstead paint and it will be fine - is that right?
If we do need to prime what ratio of emulsion and water should we use - I have researched but the results seem varied from 25% to 50/50

Also are there any other tough wipeable paints anyone thinks is better than Armstead?

Many thanks for tips and advice

As per @Wayners ' advice, read the tin, ignore general advice on the internet. Of the 3 Armstead matt paints that I have just checked, all 3 say that you should add 1 part water to 5 parts paint on absorbent surfaces, eg, new plaster.

I do know people that have used it as a based coat, neat, but I would not recommend doing that. I have worked at several houses where the customer got the builders to apply the first coat of emulsion. I start rolling and as the base coat becomes soft, my roller ends up pulling it off. I then have to spray the whole wall with water and scrape their paint off.

A massive downside to over thinned paint is that it fails to seal the paint properly and is incredibly splattery.

Edit if the plaster is now a uniform light pink colour, it should be fine to paint- assuming that it was plaster over plasterboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back