Painting newly rendered exterior walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We had the outside of our house rendered last week and before we crack on with painting, I've a few questions.

How long should we wait before painting?
Its been cracking the flags this week for 7 whole days (10 days since render was done). With rain forecast for Monday or Tuesday, ideally I'd like to give it it's first coat this weekend. Will it be too soon?

Sealing it...
After reading many suggestions, I think PVA is out of the question, but there are mixed suggestions on whether to seal or not. I am looking at Dulux Weathershield Masonry paint.

Other than that - any suggestions? Obviously apply with a decent roller, brush down any loose bits etc.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
hyllid,

You seem to have both the method of application and tools for the job in hand well sorted, good on you.

There is no actual defined period with regard to the drying times of external render, and is often weather dependant, in your case after 10 days on the proviso that the render has not been subjected to rain, and also yet rare at this time of year an early morning frost you should be fine to continue.

There is no need to apply any specific sealers and stay well clear of pva, cement is in all intense and purpose porus in the extreme, so thin your first coat with around 10% water and any subsequent coats around 5%. Following these guidlines will offer you both penatration/bond and ease of application

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back