Painting old aluminium window frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.jpg
image.jpg
I have a brick built shed at the back of my house and the previous owners installed the aluminium windows from the house when the new double glazing was fitted. The garden has had a makeover (bought the house in April 15) but the shed lets it down as it looks very ugly with brown painted apologies for window frames and the just as ugly aluminium windows. I want to paint the wooden frames and the aluminium white. I read some advice on the internet about scrubbing the aluminium frames with 'lubricant?' What is this lubricant and what is it's purpose? My intention was to clean/prime/paint. Any advice welcome please. I am a retired female fairly keen DIYer (if I don't do it I have to pay someone and house has cost megabucks to do up already!) Photo is pre-makeover and the lean to shed section with brown door has been removed. Small photo is post-makeover. Thanks folks!

Sponsored Links
You need to get an aluminium etching primer. Not an aluminium wood primer. Then paint it as normal.

Ok thanks. (So this 'lubricant' mentioned on internet re cleaning aluminium isn't necessary?)

Consider Hammerite Special Metals Primer......ferrous metal primer here isn't as good as it needs to be.
The metal needs to be rubbed down and degreased, naturally enough, and the abrasive paper used wet uses soap or whatever as a lubricant......but definitely nothing with oil in it!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Ok. Thanks very much for your advice. (y)

image.jpg
Thanks. Bit confused about using silicone/wax on the frames? Won't that interfere with paint adhesion? I intend to paint them white as I think metal framed windows are so ugly (not into 'trendy' colours.) Many thanks for the link.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back