Painting on cement internal wall - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, new poster so be gentle. . .

Just had a wood burning stove fitted and I am trying to paint over the new inset. The fitters simply said to apply a few coats but having done that the new surface is a very different colour to the rest of the wall. It seems the wall around inset is absorbing much more water than the rest of the wall. I suspect they used a cement/plaster mix. . .

Having read some more it seems we should have applied a cement bonding?? coat or something. Any ideas how we should proceed? Is it too late to apply a cement coat and just repaint?

Don't want to make any more of a mess.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like one area is absorbing more paint than the other or has a different texture to the other so will reflect light differently.
I would try a sealer like Zinsser Bulls eye 123 then repaint at least a couple of top coats using the same tool (brush, roller, pad or spray) that the surrounding wall was done with to try and achieve the same finish.
A full coat over the lot will help too, as paint colour changes over time and touch ups often do not follow true to the original paint.
Almost impossible to completely hide a repair like that but should end up a reasonable finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back