Painting on fresh plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,
I am sure this question has been asked a million times, but as there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer I am curious on getting an opinion based on those with experience.

I have just had ceiling skimmed, to cover artex ceiling and some plasterboard patched areas from previous roof leak, and need to paint it. Would like to get this done soon because I'd obviously rather paint before putting down new wood floor, but understand that it needs to dry first. The plasterer who did it said it would be ready in a few days, which is now, and it looks to have dried very quickly in this weather with me working from home and able to have the doors and windows open all day. The pic is below and seems to be dry to me, but then I've seen everything from a few days to 6 months quoted online before painting, and now has me paranoid.

Note that I am talking about low permeability paint (Leyland Hardwearing Matt), as opposed to contract matt which I know can go on to fresh plaster.

2020-04-15 16.29.28.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi Kaymo, brush the ceiling with a soft brush to take the dust off the surface. Apply a mist coat which is a watered down version of your two top coats, I personally would put in a small amount of pva in my mist coat but there are people that would disagree but it’s always worked for me. Hope this helps.

You can go to top tradesmen and look for painting on new plaster will point you in the right direction.

Thanks Johnny, I understand about mist coats etc. What I am looking for is opinions on whether it is ready now for painting, or how do I know when it is dry enough. I know that you can paint straight on with Trade type emulsion which is breathable, but not clear on how long before painting with a non breathable/impermeable paint, like the type I plan to use, that will seal in any residual moisture.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Johnny. I've read that it is supposed to go a uniform light pink before it is dry, but it hasn't changed from the picture I posted over 24 hours. Pretty sure the last bit I got plastered never went completely uniform so maybe its as dry as its going to get now, but will wait another couple of days. Thinking about it, it can only be about 2-3mm thick so it can't take that long to dry.

With the sun the last few days this south facing extension has been around 22 degrees, and the humidity meter has been below 50% since Tuesday night, so doesn't look like any more water is coming out.

Maybe stressing about it being perfectly dry is a bit pointless when its going to get a mist coat that is largely water!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back