Painting on new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just had our walls and ceilings replastered. Have already been around with a mist coat. We added one part water to three parts matt emulsion.
My question is 'what should we do next?'. Should we do another coat of watered down emulsion or should we do just white emulsion or should we head straight to the colour (which will be magnolia) and do two coats?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
New plaster will take about four or five coats of paint to get a good finish, I would do another 'mist coat' then a full coat before progressing to your chosen top coat , which will probably need a further two coats. have fun! :rolleyes:

Just doing 3 rooms in matt white; started with 2 coats 60/40 (paint water) & just put on the 2nd full bore coat; it needs one more coat tomorrow to fully cover.

Sponsored Links
I have painted over fresh plaster twice, both with great results.

In the first case it was a bathroom, and my plasterer recommended I seal the wall with PVA glue diluted with water. I forget now what the ratio was, it may have been two to one water to PVA. Then I painted over two coats of good quality bathroom paint.

More recently in my (huge!) hallway the plasterer (a different guy) said cheap emulsion would do as a base coat. I used B&Q bargain white paint for one coat. Then over that two coats of good quality matt emulsion.

Both look great and I've just sold the house - all the viewers loved the hallway and the bathroom. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back