Painting on plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Plumber is boxing in pipes in my bathroom using plasterboard (gyproc?). He says I can put a primer on and then paint directly. Is this true? I thought I'd need to get them skimmed. If not, do I need to do anything special to the plasterboard before painting it. I would obviously use a primer, but I'm wondering if I have to do anything special to joins, etc in the board? Also, as the boxing in will adjoin an already plastered wall, is there anything special I should do along these joins, or can I just use some caulk to fill in the gaps? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
iv never done it butt my unlce does it i think you have to tape the joins and fill them and the screw holes then rub them back flat

The yanks do it all the time.They use very little plaster. All joints are scrim taped and filler is applied over the joints and screw heads. this is all rubbed flat with sanding sheets on a sanding plate. the whole area of dry wall as they call it (plasterboard0 is then primed and then final coats of emulsion applied to that. Its a lot quicker than plastering. Its done a little over here but most walls are platsered because we use a lot of wallpaper, This is easily stripped from a plastered wall. Not so easy from painted plasterboard as it starts to pull the paper layers from the board.

iv never done it butt my unlce does it i think you have to tape the joins and fill them and the screw holes then rub them back flat

It's late. Here's how I read your post first time around. Had to stop and start again.

iv never done it. butt (my uncle) does it. i think you have to tape the joins and fill them and the screw holes then rub them back flat :oops:

All my best to your Uncle Butt. Have you also an Aunt F***y?

Sponsored Links

It's late. Here's how I read your post first time around. Had to stop and start again.

iv never done it. butt (my uncle) does it. i think you have to tape the joins and fill them and the screw holes then rub them back flat :oops:

All my best to your Uncle Butt. Have you also an Aunt F***y?

wtf??????????????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back