Painting on sized plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

A few months ago I had my passageway skimmed, including a tiny part of the ceiling in front of the front door (which is slightly lower than the rest of the ceiling). I am in the middle of wallpapering the stairs now, which will include the passageway, and in preparation I have sized the walls with paste last week, including that small part of ceiling which I had intended to wallpaper as well.

However, now I think it would look better (and be easier!) if I painted that small portion of ceiling instead of wallpapering it, and my question is -since the plaster has been sized do I have to do anything to that small section of celing before applying a mist coat and then going over with a few coats of emulsion? Will the size I applied to the plaster affect the emulsion?

It is literally a very small section - only 50cm by 150cm.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
I would wash down the area as you might find the paint finish affected by the size, I have seen walls that get a rough texture where wallpaper has been stripped and the paste not washed down enough, before painting.

I find that a broad metal scraper will get most of the paste off, after you have sprayed or brushed it with warm water to wet it, it turns to slime. You may need to sponge it and rub with a rough towel after you have scraped off all you can.

Incidentally, I am not a decorator, but I find that it is easier to paper and to strip walls clean if they have been previously emulsioned.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back