Painting on to Newly Plastered Ceilings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

i never knew it could this complicated, so many types of paint...

i've just had living room and hall way ceilings replastered, and from reading old posts etc, i think this is the way forward

use Dulux trade supermatt
1st coat: mistcoat @ 25%
2nd coat: mistcoat @ 10%
3rd coat: as above if needed

am i on right path?

Sponsored Links
First coat should be thinned to about 20% then sunsequent coats need not be thinned. :LOL:

am i on right path?

I'd agree with that completely. I never put paint on unthinned as you get a load of roller stipple that you won't get when thinned a bit.

Done a few newly plastered walls / ceilings and I swear by Mc Phersons Eclipse Matt. 1st coat thinned about 20% 2nd coat thinned by about 10%......never really needed 3rd coat ....love the stuff tho my Johnstones / Leyland shop keep telling me it's crap and to use their Leyland Super Leytex but why bother if I'm happy with the McPhersons ? Any commments ?

Sponsored Links

am i on right path?

I'd agree with that completely. I never put paint on unthinned as you get a load of roller stipple that you won't get when thinned a bit.

I agree as well :) , I always slightly thin my paint, it doesnt lose any of the coverage, but I get a far better finish.

am i on right path?

I agree as well :) , I always slightly thin my paint, it doesnt lose any of the coverage, but I get a far better finish.

And ditto, I agree, as well, also, too....especially when your dealing with a non vinyl which draws the subsequent coats in.

I have thinned supermatt by almost 50% and its still good.

love the stuff tho my Johnstones / Leyland shop keep telling me it's rubbish and to use their Leyland Super Leytex but why bother if I'm happy with the McPhersons ? Any commments ?

Yes Leytex is. as the chinese say..clap..like most Leyland paint in fact.

Eclipse IMO though isnt much better..its ok, but not in the same league as supermatt or covermatt..then again, it isnt as expensive..if it does the job in two then your doing alright to be honest.

The worst move Crown has ever made was ditching the brolac brand..superflat was the daddy of all of the contract emulsions IMO and the undercoat and gloss was better than Crown

They (crown) tried to make out that Eclipse was superflat but just re branded...they lied and made themselves look silly in the process.

Typical Reps...full of ****.. :rolleyes:

Above has all gone great, hall way all OK, but just done the living room and the plaster has a few ridges and trowel marks etc. Whats best for filling these, should i sand down the ridges?

Do u pros mist walls ceilings together(all white) or ceilings first then walls.
Or is it just personal pref...........

Do u pros mist walls ceilings together(all white) or ceilings first then walls.
Or is it just personal pref...........
Matt white & do them both if they have both been re-plastered, either together or separate it really doesn’t matter; but why have you resurrected an 18 month old post :confused:

yes the way your plan to do it is good and if you want to get the ceiling extra smooth you can back roll coats 2 - 3 when your roller is exhausted of paint .
by back rolling areas while still wet with exhasted roller takes more of the stipple out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back